Thursday, December 31, 2009

Skiing in Utah.

When Dave and I first got married, he got me started skiing. My aunt talked us into a bonsai trip during New Year's one year to Lake Tahoe to meet them and ski at Squaw. We went, and had a blast! I loved it, and though one thing that sticks out in my mind about that trip is being taken down a blue with a super steep hill to begin with, and I had a blast! Since that trip, we have tried to go every winter. When we were still in Thousand Oaks, Dave took me to Big Bear, and I will NEVER ski there again! The winter before I got pregnant with Jackson was the last time I have been on skiis. That was 4 years ago! Uncle Ed has never been on skiis, so this was a big trip for the family.

We left Christmas morning from my parents house, and all met again in Utah at this fabulous house we found as a vacation rental (we will be going back!). It was clean, kid friendly, and had a great location! The kids traveled very well, and were super excited to hit the snow in the front yard when we got there. On a side note, I am so glad I don't live in the snow. What a production it was to get two kids ready to go out and play for 15 minutes...max! But they had a great time. Apparantly the snow tasted good. Jackson had a great time making snow angels. Addison wasn't quite sure what he was doing, but she was all about trying.

That night, Jackson woke up with a tummy ache. He ended up throwing up, but it wasn't alot...so we assumed it was nerves, and maybe altitude. Long story short, he wanted to go, we tried...but he made it to Starbucks down the hill and threw up again in the car. So he got to stay home with Grandma (who couldn't ski because her foot was broken), and grandpa decided to stay and help. By 11 he was feeling better. We continued to the ski resort. Addison had a good day in their child care. Dave and Trav were great teachers, and had Ed on skiis in no time! By the end of the day, Trav and Dave had me going down a black with them. Not my cup of tea. I still do the pizza wedge, so it's tough to do on the steep down hill parts. But I made it!

The second day, Jackson was all about skiing. We tried to explain the nature of ski school, but it didn't sink in until we got there and I was trying to drop him off. He freaked out! To the point where Shaka, his fabulous instructor, helped prye him off of me as he was screaming. I hurried out, in tears myself (I knew he would be fine...but I can't stand to see him upset like that!). When I was ready, I came back and peeked in their window, and Jackson was doing fine. Dave and I headed over to the 2nd mountain, and ended up getting a call from the resort. My heart dropped....who is hurt?? No one, thank goodness! In the madness of dropoff, we forgot to sign the paper so Jackson could ski. We headed back, and got to see Jackson head out at the start of his lesson.
We had a great day, and so did Jackson. Addison had a bit of a fit when she couldn't go and ski with him, but Jackson learned to "hockey stop," which Shaka explained is very, very good for a beginner. (Dave was trying to teach me how to do that, and I can't yet).

We will definitely be making skiing a part of our winter traditions! In fact, we are planning another trip in February...and because Jackson will be four, he will be in a real, half day lesson...crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment