Dear Addison,
You are 6 years old. Yes, that's right. You are six. In so many ways, this does not seem possible. Yet, in so many ways, I know that it's true. We were talking the other day about independence, and I mentioned how independent you are. You told me you were not (and you were quite adamant), but sweet pea, you are. You are independent to a tee. You have always wanted to do things your way, and in your own time. When you were born, you would not nurse. I was beside myself because this was one thing about having a new baby that I knew....I mean totally knew. And yet, you were not going to do it until you were ready. And once you were ready, it was no holds bar...but man....waiting for you to be ready, even then was hard. You are a child who has her own mind, and is going to use it all the time.
I love, absolutely love, to watch you Addison. You love to play and learn. You are definitely growing into your own thoughts because you are quite good at articulating them now. You and Jackson get along most of the time, but you definitely have your moments. Yesterday morning was one of those, and I was so impressed that you were using "I statements" to describe your feelings and what you didn't like about what he was doing. In fact, I asked you to go back and finish, and you did. Proud mom moment, because this is what I do at work, and there are times when I feel like I fail you and Jackson at home because I don't always have the patience to work through things like I should...but you did! Having the skills to articulate how situations are making you feel is huge, and you are doing it now!!!
Addison, you love school. I mean, LOVE it! You are learning so much, and have come so far. You are reading simple books and you were the first to progress to the next level of math for your class. You are adding and subtracting, and telling time and counting money. You are learning things about our US history and about art that you absolutely love. But one of the most exciting things for me is your love of music and the foundation you are getting there. You are encouraged to work out your differences with your friends, and your teachers support you. Addison, it is extremely exciting to see you grow.
We were talking about dance registration for next year, and you got very sad when we were talking about making a choice. You LOVE dance, and we love that you love it. Plus, you are good at it. Addison, you are good at all sports, you are coordinated and athletic. You will always be one of those kiddos who just "get" this part of life (you get that from daddy), but we still have to work on those boundaries...otherwise you would do it ALL!!!
Addison, your passion for life and sensitivity are amazing. You wake up happy in the morning, and go to bed happy. You just have that disposition. You play hard, work hard and feel hard. That passion could take you to be the president of the US if you wanted. In the meantime, we are happy and proud to support you and be witness to your learning and growing. You are a gift Addison to everyone you meet. And I am truly honored that God chose me to be your mom.
I see so much of myself in you that sometimes it scares me. I am to a point where I definitely know my strengths and weaknesses! Hopefully I can help you grow into yourself and continue to mold you into the strong woman you are on the path to becoming. You have a faith that will carry you through thick and thin, and by relying on God, you will be unstoppable. I pray for the strength to stand beside you and support you in all that you set out to do.
Addison, I cannot wait for your life to continue to unfold. But, love bug, you are 6. You've lost two teeth, and love to swim. Let's keep it "kid" focused for as long as we can, because being a kid is the best thing on earth!!! I love you Addison, and I know daddy does too. We are excited by your laughter and tickled by your achievements. Keep on growing and learning love because life only gets better!!!!
Love,
Mom


No comments:
Post a Comment