Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Gum and Peanut Butter

I have been waiting for this for quite some time. It happened to me, and I knew it would happen to Addison. We were on our way home from the chiropractor when Addison screamed in the car. Now, anyone who has kids knows that screams in the car are never good. First, they make you jump. Second, next to major disaster, there is not much you can do while your hands are on the wheel and you are trying to peer at the child in question through the rearview mirror that you have just moved to see what would cause such an outburst. 

For us today, that outcry meant that Addison had finally succeeded in getting gum in her hair. I say succeeded because it really was only a matter of time. She was in tears, and what was I going to do except quietly chuckle to myself and tell her over and over again not to touch it. I told her the story of how we were traveling one time when I was a child and fell asleep with gum in my hair. It ended up in my hair. I don't remember where we were going, or how long I had to wait to get it out, but peanut butter came to the rescue. 

First things first when we get home is usually to shed the daily "work" clothes and change into the comfies, ie jammies...but today we had to bust out the peanut butter before anyone could go anywhere. Is it bad that before I grabbed the peanut butter, I grabbed the camera? I don't think so. It gave me perspective, and actually calmed Addie down to because at that point the thought of putting peanut butter in her hair was not too thrilling. 
Mess of gum and hair (did I mention that I only let her chew half pieces?).
Totally cracked me up....talk about cheese!
The mess....close up.
And yes, natural works just like the unnatural!

So I scooped and started on her hair. You know what Addison wanted to do? Scoop too...although her scoops went into her mouth. Oh well. A full tummy is a happy kid, right?
Full...tummy and hair.

As much as I didn't want to scare her with getting the gum out, it couldn't be all fun either. Otherwise, it was going to become a game, and I am not about to end my day getting gum out of her hair all the time. No matter what means you use, getting gum out is still difficult. Which meant that there was a little bit of tugging (gentle, I promise), but by this point she was not enjoying the process of getting gum out of her hair. Good! We had to take one more picture, and she totally sapped it up! 
Look mom, no more gum!

I don't think she'll be doing this again!!!

1 comment:

  1. Poor baby, but I think we've all been there. My mom flew with the three of us (ages 6, 4, and 1) alone when we moved to Germany. Shortly after take off Meghan managed to get gum all in her hair and all over the front of her sweater. Needless to say, it was a LONG flight!

    ReplyDelete