Today, when I picked Jackson up from school, his teacher mentioned that she wanted to share something with me. She proceeded to tell me that today they got a new student in their classroom. She was having a rough time when they were all at their seats in class. At one point, Jackson said, "I have the touch. I know what to do." He went over to her, and put his hands on her shoulder and kind of patted her to make her feel better. She stopped crying (momentarily at least!). Mrs. Breton said the whole class clapped. Talk about sweet!!! I was telling Jackson how proud of him I was, and how kind of him to help her. He told me matter of factly, "That's me mom. I'm made for kindness! I know all kinds of things to help!"
Another afternoon, Jackson was telling me about how he was helping another student in his class learn to speak. He has some learning difficulties, and Jackson was telling me how he was helping teach him their cheers for the words, "LIKE" and "MY." It was very sweet to hear Jackson talk about how the other little boy just needed some extra help to learn.
You know, as a mom, and especially as a working mom, I am always afraid I'm not getting it right. I have my moments, more than I like, where I know I could have handled it differently. Even in spite of all my shortcomings as a parent, we are still hitting the mark! Jackson, you are growing into such a caring and sensitive young man who is so in tune to others. I love that your emotional vocab is more than mad and sad. I hope that you can hang on to your sensitivity! I know the world can be rough, especially for boys who "get it," and you do. I love you, and I have to say that your dad and I are super proud of you!!! Keep it up bug!


Melts my heart! Great job Jackson and great job Mom and Dad!
ReplyDelete