Monday, July 9, 2012

Sometimes life is messy

Dear Jackson and Addison,

Today, we were traveling home from Grandma H's house, and as we were walking back to the car after our ice cream stop of McFlurry's (Oreo for Jackson and M&M for Addie) and a hot fudge sundae (because every mom deserves a hot fudge sundae when she is driving with her children for any extended amount of time), Jackson declared (completely out of the blue) that "sometimes life is messy."

That got me thinking. Yes, sometimes life is messy. Sometimes it's messy because of our own doing. Other times, it's messy because of something someone else did. Either way, we have a choice how we react to that messiness. We can embrace it as a life experience and choose to triumph and clean up the mess, or we can let that mess overtake us at every turn.

I know that you will have your share of messes in life. Wish I could change that. Unfortunately, part of it is in your genes (I am a notorious "messy"). But I am working on that and thankfully, our home is nothing like my room was growing up! Can't change who you are, so instead we are really working on cleaning up those messes in our lives. But metaphorically, there will be messes that at times seem too big for you to handle. These messes you may have contributed to, created or may be a victim of. In any case, I pray that you remember a few things about these messes.

First and foremost, you are not alone as you pull out your broom and clean up. We are here. Your daddy and I love you unconditionally, ALWAYS. So it doesn't matter which side of the mess you are on, we will support you (that does include holding you accountable), and help you grow and clean. In addition to us, God is always with you too. He knows how much we can handle, and it always there to lean on when we need Him. So please, use us.

Second, these messes, though messy they are, they will help you grow into the amazing, strong and caring individuals God created you to be. These messes will just be a bump in the road. They won't last forever, though I can promise you, they may seem like they will.

Lastly, these messes will help you grow in your character and make you more compassionate towards those around you who may be experiencing messes that are similar. This will be an invaluable resource to you, as you never know when you will need to draw from this.

Learn from your messes, as life is all about perspective, and your perspective will change as you experience life. Funny how they go hand in hand. I pray that you are able to embrace your messiness. Find the joy in getting dirty, but find "clean" ways to do it. I know, it's an oxymoron, but it's totally do-able. Messes will happen all the time, and some will definitely be messier. Hopefully, your daddy and I are teaching you how to rise above them and never become a victim of your messes.

We love you. And, Jackson is right. Sometimes life is messy...but isn't that what makes it interesting??

Love,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment