Monday, February 24, 2014

Letter to my Jackson



Dear Jackson,

You are eight years old buddy! How can that be? Last year, the thing you wanted to remember about yourself was this, "That I'm good. That I'm the best kid ever." And you know what? You are! I can always count on you for a smile, a hug or a snuggle. You are still as sensitive as ever, which is something I hold dear. I pray that this never changes. The world can be so cruel, and can take that sensitivity away so quickly. You always see the beauty in everyone and everything. Yet you have a very realistic

Jackson, you are still as smart and inquisitive as ever. You moved to a new school this year, and it has been the best decision for you we have made. Your teacher understands the way you work and what you need, and she works so well with you. Because of her, you now love to draw and create. You love to do art. In your class, you have to complete a line in the morning as a part of your morning seat work. There is always a story to your picture that comes from just a line. We love to hear all about it. You also are loving science and music. You get to do so much more of both at school now, half the time you don't even know you are learning! But boy, oh boy. You are, and you know what bug-a-boo? So are we. Schedules have always been your thing, and it's been a learning curve for us to help you go with the flow when the schedules get off at school. You speak in so many ways than just your words and we are learning to listen bug. Sometimes I feel like I need an interpreter because I know you want us to understand, and we don't until later. (Like this weekend...we knew something was up, and then this morning you woke up with a high fever.).

Jackson, you see the world in your own unique way and I love that about you. You love to try and help others understand exactly what you are thinking and why it is correct. Sometimes it works out, sometimes not. But you are getting much better at walking away if the other person likes their point of view. You are learning to work much better with others, to listen to others ideas and not always have to do it your way. These are huge for you. You are reading, and still love to read non-fiction. Right now, you especially love historical books. In fact, we are reading about the Battle of Gettysburg as our bedtime story (not my pick, but you love it). You are very interested in who is good and who is bad.

You love soccer and tumbling, and your coordination has gotten so much better! Even better than that, you love it and have said you've going to play soccer forever. You are also riding your bike!!! Woohoo! It cracks me up though because you have to ride it with your go-cart helmet and your goggles. "It's safest" is what you always tell me, and who am I to argue with that? My only problem with it is that when we go on our bike/run (you and Addie bike, I run) you can't hear me holler down the road to stop. But thankfully, minus one time when I had to sprint to stop you, but honestly you stopped all on your own.

So Jackson, what I need to do is have faith. I need to have faith in you and how we are raising you. I need to have faith that you have faith. Even though you consider yourself a scientist (which I have no doubt you will become), you still hold fast that Jesus is in your heart. Everyday, I pray I am making the best decisions both for you and for Addison. Not just decisions for now, but ones that will impact you lifetime. I believe in my heart of hearts Daddy and I are making the dest decisions for you. So I need to have faith in you love. Because Jackson, you have what it takes and I know you are going to only continue to grow, make mistakes, learn from them and continue your awesomeness!!!
This is me, holding on and having faith! 
I love you my bug-a-boo and I can't wait to see what year 8 is like!!

Love,
Mom

PS...I love that you love your lunch box notes, but you don't want anyone to see that you have them so you are very careful to read it inside your lunch box while you are getting your stuff out, but then you leave it there. It's like my secret for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment