Monday, February 10, 2014

Jackson's "favorite things" birthday party

I don't know why choosing a theme this year was so difficult, but let me tell you. Challenge of the decade so far! But we finally came to an agreement that worked for everyone, most especially, Jackson! After all, he was the birthday boy! We ended up incorporating all of his favorite things. The one nice thing about this year was that since there were no pictures to look at for cake ideas, it was a pretty simple cake (although I really need to practice baking a GF cake.). Jackson wanted red velvet...and let me tell you, it's tough when the baker doesn't really like the flavor. We used rainbow sprinkles (a favorite) and his "Imaginext" toys (another favorite). I also made dirt cake cupcakes, which I thought turned out pretty cute. Initially, I tried to convince Jackson just to have cupcakes, which he said ok to...but later he told me that he "wanted a cake because I have to have my name on it. It shows people appreciate me." What was I supposed to say to that? 
Cake with NAME!
Dirt cake cupcakes.
Sticking with Jackson's favorite things, we created stations. We pulled out his Imaginext toys to one room, put the Legos in another and created a Nerf station. Dave went a little crazy with the Nerf and ended up with this... We also had a bounce station and an "animal, bug and car station." Jackson had to have all the bases covered.
Once everyone got here, it was game on. We waited awhile to let them get into the Nerf, which worked out perfectly. Other areas were played with, and much to my surprise, Jackson preferred the Legos...usually  he goes straight for his Imaginext (that will be the stuff we keep forever). But it was quieter in the Lego room than any other, so it just worked out.

Jackson enjoying his legos.
Magdalene and Addison
Once the Nerf got started, it completely got started. Round one took place in the hallway. Round two happened after cake, and thankfully moved outside. Dave and Steve even jumped in on the fun and took on all the kiddos. It was hard to tell who was having more fun...the kids or the dad's.
Getting ready for round one.
Nicolas all ready to go!
Jackson just beaming!
Ready, Aim...FIRE!
The boys, reloading.
Jackson and Nerf coming out of him, everywhere...yes, even down his pants. Gotta get them all in!
Magdalene enjoying the bounce station.
Dave, armed and ready with extra.
Steve's got his game down!
We ended the party with a few staying for hot dogs and S'More's over the campfire. It was a perfect ending to what Jackson declared his "most favorite day ever." Birthday's are a big thing here. I tried to get Jackson and Addison to have a joint party, and it just wasn't happening. They wanted their day, which I totally get!!! It's why we do it twice a year!
The birthday boy!!! Enjoying every minute of it!!


1 comment: