Friday, February 21, 2014

Music to my ears

Dear Jackson,

Two days ago, you got the opportunity to watch a music group at your school that was traveling through town. They stopped at the Chamber, and were sent over to see if your school could work in a performance. They did, and you loved it! As the director watched you watching the group, she could see you conducting the music. You were in another world. She also explained before they started what a standing ovation was, everyone gave them one!

After performing for the entire group, they performed for your class, as well as Addison's class. When they were done in your room, you stood and gave them a standing ovation. They were excited and said, "You remembered." After that, you then said to them, "you played and sang for us, can we sing for you?" They said yes, and because of you, your whole class sang "Oh Come, Oh Come, Emmanuel."

Jackson, this warms my heart to the deepest part. From everything I've heard about this performance you got to see, it touched you the way music touches me. The way playing the piano and my clarinet were an expression for me. When I was upset, I would play. I would play other times too, but music was always an outlet for me. I have many moments that I remember, but there was one moment in high school when we were playing Lincolnshire Posy by Percy Grainger. I had a rest and was looking up at my band director. Jackson, in her face I could see that we nailed it. Every person playing got it just right at that moment and it was magical. It is a moment that I will never forget. I hope that you never forget the way music makes you feel. I know you probably don't totally "get" that magic yet, but it is magical love and when you can really become a part of the music, it's something special. It's something that no one can ever take from you.

Who knows, maybe one day you will be a conductor of your own wind ensemble, or maybe you will play an instrument. The world is yours love, and I hope you always feel it.

Love,
Mom


No comments:

Post a Comment